The Roman Age

In the distance behind the amphitheater rises the silhouette of the church of St. Eutropius. Far away on the other bank, the Abbaye aux Dames mirrors it. These two chefs-d’œuvre of Romanesque art, at its height in the late eleventh century, celebrate the triumphant Christianity.

The Abbaye aux Dames

The Abbaye aux Dames

The Abbey of Benedictine nuns of Sainte-Marie-aux-Dames, consecrated in 1047 and a city within the city, was a place of wealth and power for over 700 years. Standing in the sunlight in the courtyard planted with plane trees and hackberry, gaze up at the church of white stone and its portal populated with images, the conventual buildings now a cultural high place in the town. The bell-tower, a Romanesque jewel awaits the visitor at the end of a journey through the corridors of time, from the chapter house to the nuns’ cells.
In St. Eutropius, the spirituality of the place « gathers » the visitor in the crypt which contains the tomb of Eutropius, the first apostle of the Santons and martyr. The low church, with its inspired vaulting, is surmounted by a soaring high church with remarkable embellished capitals. Built by the monks of Cluny on the 6th century sanctuary and consecrated in 1096, St. Eutropius is a major edifice, still frequented on the road to Saint Jacques de Compostela, and for this reason it was placed on the World Heritage list by UNESCO.
The church of St Eutropius

The church of St Eutropius